How Does The Trademark Renewal Process Work?
Registered trademarks have a 10-year validity and can be renewed indefinitely
What is Trademark Renewal?
Registered trademarks have a 10-year validity and can be renewed indefinitely. The Registrar has set a wide window for you to do so, beginning from 6 months before the date of expiry. Even if you forgot, as even large organisations tend to do, you will be sent a notice to your registered address before the date of expiry. If you still do not file for renewal, the registrar may advertise its intention to remove the trademark in the Trade Marks Journal. This is, however, likely to happen only 12 months after the expiry date. Between 6 and 12 months after expiry,trademark registration can be renewed on payment of a fine through a process called ‘restoration’.
Benefits of Trademark Renewal
If you believe your registered trademark has been infringed, you can easily establish your rights in court trademark registration is essential in sectors in which piracy is rampant.
A trademark is an intangible asset that can be enormously valuable, should your brand succeed. Think of Tide, Nike or McDonald’s. Businesses can earn huge money in royalties through licensing agreements or even transfer of ownership to interested parties.
You would want your customers to identify your products or services with your brand. Registering your trademark is the first step toward ensuring this. The law would then prevent any similar words or slogans from being registered.
Checklist For Trademark Renewal
- Pre-existence of a registered trademark, possessed by the proprietor, subject to renewal.
- The intent for commercial use should be analyzed for eligibility.
- Make sure that there is no similar trademark, by executing a trademark search of the eminent and licensed trademark database.
- If there is a conflict of trademark it is prudent to get a legal opinion for a feasible solution.
- Procure and prepare an application for renewal and thereby comply with appropriate conditions.
How to Renew a Trademark:
There are two kinds of renewal:
- Alteration and change of sign or logo of the registered trademark.
- Application made without any change of trademark.
The procedure is as follows-
- An application for renewal is made in the form of TM-R.
- The application can be filed by either the registered owner of the trademark or an agent authorized by him.
- Filing a renewal application for trademark, renews it for another 10 years.
- After filing the Trademark Renewal application, it is very important to check the status of your application periodically until it is processed by the registrar.
- The Trademark Journal is an official gazette of the Trademark registry which governs the application status whether it is accepted or not. If accepted then it is advertised in the Trademark Journal. Therefore, the renewal process should begin 3 to 6 months before the expiry of the trademark.
- Form-18 is used to file the application, with the requisite fees. The application is reviewed for quality before it is finally approved for renewal.
How Buiznest Helps With The Trademark Renewal Process
As soon as you send us your details, a representative will get in touch to find out more about your requirements and explain the process and charges to you. Charges would depend on whether you need the trademark renewed or restored. Renewal costs Rs. 5000 in government fees, while restoration costs Rs. 8000.
Our lawyers will start working on your Trademark Renewal application and prepare the relevant documents. Either Form-10 or Form-12 would need to be filed with the registrar, along with renewal fees.
We will keep you up-to-date on the status of your application, and within four to five months you will receive confirmation that your trademark has been renewed for another 10 years.
Documents required for Trademark Renewal
- A copy of the Registration Certificate.
- Power of Attorney to represent the applicant.
- Any photo ID and Address Proof of the Applicant
- Copy of TM-A
60 Established Vendors
Buiznest has successfully completed 600+ registrations in the past year alone. We have partnered with some of the top experts in business across India to get your registration across to you on time.
9.1 Customer Score
We make your interaction with the government as smooth as is possible by doing all the paperwork for you. We will also give you absolute clarity on the process to set realistic expectations.
200+ Strong Team
Our team of experienced business advisors are a phone call away, should you have any queries about the process. But we’ll try to ensure that your doubts are cleared before they even arise.
Designing is not intended for talented people. It’s for everyone. What you need to do is just to open up your mind to all possibilities.
Never stop learning. Consider yourself as a life-long learner and try your best to learn as much as you can, you definitely will succeed.
You can’t succeed if you just do what others do and follow the well-worn path. You need to create a new and original path for yourself.
“Theme is @intuitive to use. Even for a WordPress beginner like me, Brook offers all the functions and features with simple instructions”
“I’m running a multi-area website so this multipurpose theme is just what I need. @Brook really has great concepts for creative agencies like ours.”
“This is just the most powerful theme I’ve ever met. Love to talk with their staff about how to explore all the capabilities of the @Brook theme. ”
“ThemeMove’s support team was very @professional. They can help me with fast and accurate solutions to all kinds of issues. Five stars for them.”
“The theme navigation is smooth and clean. Thanks to @Brook theme, my blogs now attracts thousands of audiences on a daily basis.”
“Found myself lucky for purchasing this theme! The developers of @Brook theme offer me the best customer service for my website. Love it!”