How Does Due Diligence Of A Company Work For You?
Due dilligence helps the company verify all material facts, background, legal
and accounting to avoid getting blindsided on deals.
What is Due Diligence?
Due diligence is generally conducted by investors to check for regulatory and process compliance by the company on a regular basis. Due diligence of a company is generally performed before any private equity investment, business sale, bank loan funding, etc.
In this process, the legal, financial and the compliance aspects of the company are usually reviewed and documented. It is basically the process of examining all the material facts of a deal or a contract before a legal contract is signed by both the parties. It is not just limited to buyers, even sellers can perform a due diligence on the buyer. Due diligence consist of factual, background, legal and accounting checks. This done to ensure that there are no surprises after a deal is done.
Documents Required for Due Diligence
Good News! Just Some Basic Documents. Just See Our Checklist Below:
- Charter documents of the company
- Notices, Attendance Sheets & Board Meeting Minutes
- Notices, Attendance Sheets & General Meeting Minutes
- Statutory Registers
- Legal Agreements executed by the Company
- RBI Related documents
Assessment of MCA Documents
Most of the due diligence of a company begin with the Ministry of Corporate Affairs. On the website of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, the master data about a company is made publicly available. Further, with payment of a small fee, all documents filed with the Registrar of Companies is made available to anyone. This information from the MCA website is generally verified first. The information and documents gathered in this step include:
- The date of Incorporation
- Authorised capital
- The paid up capital
- The date of the last annual general meeting
- The date of the last balance sheet
- Status of the company
- The directors of the company
- The date of appointment of directors
- The details of secured lenders of the company
- The quantum of secured loans
- The certificate of incorporation
- The memorandum of association
- Articles of association
In addition to the above, the financial information of the company and other filings with the MCA pertaining to various aspects of the company can be downloaded and reviewed. The review of MCA documents of the company would provide a good overview of the company to the person performing the due diligence.
Assessment of Articles of Association
It is imperative to review the articles of association of a company during the due diligence process to establish the different classes of equity shares and their voting rights. The articles of association of a company can restrict/limit the transfer of shares of a company. Therefore, the articles of association should be studied judiciously to ascertain the procedure for transfer of shares.
Assessment of Statutory Registers of Company
Under Companies Act, 2013, a private limited company is required to maintain various statutory registers relating to the share transfer, share allotment, board meetings, board of directors, etc., Therefore, the statutory registers of a company must be reviewed to obtain and validate the information pertaining to the directorship and the shareholding.
Assessment of Book of Accounts and Financial Statements
Companies are required to maintain the book of accounts along with detailed transaction information by the Companies Act, 2013. The detailed financial transaction information must be audited and verified against the financial statements that are prepared by the company. Some of the matters relevant during the business financial due diligence process are:
- Verification of the bank statements
- Verification and valuation of all the assets and the liabilities
- Verification of the cash flow information
- Verification of all the financial statements against transactional information
Assessment of Taxation Aspects
The taxation aspects of a company must be thoroughly checked during the due diligence process. This helps to ensure that there are no unforeseen/unexpected tax liabilities created on the company in a future date. The following aspects relating to the taxation aspect of a company must be checked:
- The income tax return filed
- The income tax paid
- The calculation of the income tax liability by the company
- ESI / PF returns filed
- ESI / PF payments
- ESI / PF payment calculation
- The GST/service tax / VAT returns filed
- The GST/service tax / VAT payments
- Basis for the GST/service tax / VAT payment calculation
- TDS returns
- TDS payments
- TDS calculations
Assessment of Legal Aspects
A complete legal audit of the company has to be performed by a legal practitioner to establish if there are any pending/incomplete legal actions, suits by or against the company and the liability in each. Further, the following aspects must be checked during the legal due diligence:
- Legal due diligence for all the real estate properties of the company.
- No objection from a secured creditor for the transfer of company.
- Verification of the court documents and the court filings, if any
Assessment of Operational Aspects
It is important to acquire a thorough understanding of the business operations, business model and operational information during the process. The review of the operational aspects must be all-encompassing including the site visits and employee interviews. Following are the aspects that must be covered and documented in the operational aspects review:
- Business model
- Number of employees
- Number of customers
- Production information
- Vendor information
- Machinery information
Registering a company offers many benefits. A registered company makes it genuine and increases the authenticity of your business.
- Shields from personal liability and protects from other risks and losses.
- Attracts more customers
- Procures bank credits and good investment from reliable investors with ease.
- Offers liability protection to protect your company’s assets
- Greater capital contribution and greater stability
- Increases the potential to grow big and expand
- You will also get Zero Balance Current Account – Powered by DBS Bank *
- Shareholders have a right to appoint the directors to act on behalf of him.
- Unlike a sole proprietorship, even after the death of directors/ shareholders company will exist without any discrepancies.
- The shareholders and the directors will get complete immunity from being sued by the third party except personal issues.
- It attracts lower tax rates and subsidies under the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- The profit of the private limited company is subjected to the tax rate of 30% + surcharge & cesses as applicable.
Is it mandatory to conduct the Due Diligence before the Investment?
How to handle the non-compliances, if any?
60 Established Vendors
Buiznest has successfully completed 600+ registrations in the past year alone. We have partnered with some of the top experts in business across India to get your registration across to you on time.
9.1 Customer Score
We make your interaction with the government as smooth as is possible by doing all the paperwork for you. We will also give you absolute clarity on the process to set realistic expectations.
200+ Strong Team
Our team of experienced business advisors are a phone call away, should you have any queries about the process. But we’ll try to ensure that your doubts are cleared before they even arise.
Designing is not intended for talented people. It’s for everyone. What you need to do is just to open up your mind to all possibilities.
Never stop learning. Consider yourself as a life-long learner and try your best to learn as much as you can, you definitely will succeed.
You can’t succeed if you just do what others do and follow the well-worn path. You need to create a new and original path for yourself.
“Theme is @intuitive to use. Even for a WordPress beginner like me, Brook offers all the functions and features with simple instructions”
“I’m running a multi-area website so this multipurpose theme is just what I need. @Brook really has great concepts for creative agencies like ours.”
“This is just the most powerful theme I’ve ever met. Love to talk with their staff about how to explore all the capabilities of the @Brook theme. ”
“ThemeMove’s support team was very @professional. They can help me with fast and accurate solutions to all kinds of issues. Five stars for them.”
“The theme navigation is smooth and clean. Thanks to @Brook theme, my blogs now attracts thousands of audiences on a daily basis.”
“Found myself lucky for purchasing this theme! The developers of @Brook theme offer me the best customer service for my website. Love it!”